Monday, May 5, 2008

First day at Hewlett-Packard

Day 1: completed. It was a very… full of Spanish. I will definately be learning some Spanish this summer! The project seems to be very interesting. I love how they really want me to be involved with the project. Possibly the best bosses I have had yet. They're organised and have a specific task for me to do. One part of the project consisted of me giving feedback as an outside point of view and as a (as they say it) supply chain specialist. I don't know about "specialist" but I am supposed to know about supply chain since I am done my bachelors. 

The week will pretty much be a little slow since it will mainly consisted of me listening to other people explaining stuff. I won't be doing much actual work. Next week, I will be working a lot with Salvador, the project manager, to start my part of the project. I am looking forward to it. It's quite a young crowd at Hewlett-Packard. It's fun.

I also took the bus for the first time this morning. It was quite a bumpy ride. The roads are not the best here and they go all out with their speed bums. They are nothing like out wimpy little lumps we have in N-B. To come back home I figured I'll take the same bus since it said "Plaza México" on it which is right in front of my apartment. Well, it turns out that there's an end of the line really far from my place. I was pretty mad. I ended up walking around thinking I could retrace my steps. It was 35 out and I was really getting sweaty so I ended up taking a cab. I like the cab drivers here. They are never too pretty but always really nice. They always chat a little and they quickly pick up on my accent (I have been told I have a weird one because I speak French and English. Making it an odd mix). They always end up asking where I am from. Once I say Canada, of course we talk about the weather hehe. So far, all the Mexicans that know that I am Canadian have been very curious about the weather. It is funny.

I actually enjoy it here in Guadalajara. I have yet to regret my decision. 

Mucho amor,

Val

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Val!
I'm glad you like it there...do they hire accountants? lol that would be pretty cool except I don't know any Spanish!! Hahaha! Well, it sounds awesome and I'm jealous that you're in the hottest weather and we're...well, it's not that bad in Moncton.... :S
Maryse

Unknown said...

Ps: Jealous of the Shoe situation you mentionned in the other blog...

Unknown said...

What an awesome experience val. Spanish is a huge asset to have and HP is a wicked company. I hope the rest of the summer goes well. I'll try to remember to read your posts from time to time. The facebook status helps. Bye!