Friday, May 9, 2008

Keep on truckin'

Week 1: completed! I believe I can put this in the success column. My week was mainly orientation but yesterday and today I started to do some actual work. Yesterday, my supervisor, Salvador, managed to give me a 2 day orientation in half a day. My brain kind of hurt after all that info cramming. Although, I am finally getting the big picture of things and can start mapping the processes so we can analyse them, change them and control them. My co-workers rock. We laugh a lot at the office. They have fun trying to get me to speak Spanish. One of the higher ranked guys will always yell out "Habla in espanol senorita! Es en Mexico" (Speak Spanish miss. You are in Mexico.) when he hears me speak English. He's a funny man. 

We went out for lunch today as well. I got a lift in my co-worker's BMW. Of course, lunch was in Spanish since we were like 15-20 there. I managed to fallow most of it. There was also a colleague from Argentina. Small funny little fellow that one is! Fridays are really laid back at the office. I feel bad since I usually leave at 2h30 so I try to get work done. I did not do much. Good thing I get there early because I got to map out some processes with Visio. By 10 I was not working much. I had a donut with Salvador and Fernando, later I when for a "break" with Salvador and Alex in the cafeteria and later on Jose came by to make fun of me a little. We went to lunch at 1h30 and we came back it was 3. Salvador said it was ok for me to leave since he saw I felt bad to leave. 

The Germans are always for this week end so I'm not too sure what I will be doing. I might go check out the Cathedral. Apparently it's something to see. I do a few touristy things and hopefully catch a little sun. It's very hot here. Some points of the day, it's really hard to endure. I always carry water around in fear of dehydration. 

Today, I looked up for a local Toastmaster club. I might join if the contact replies to my email to be sure that I am welcomed. I want to speed up the Spanish learning process. It might give me the chance to meet more people too. I am still debating this but it could be a good idea. 

Yesterday, I saw something that made me laugh. People always say Mexican takes siestas in the afternoon. Well at about 3:00 on the bus on my way home from work, there was 7…yes, 7 Mexicans sleeping on the bus. The buses here are not like in Canada. Not at all! It is a very ruff ride. No idea how they slept. After a while, the bus driver hit the brakes really suddenly and they all woke up with a pissed off looked on their face. Haha.

Tomorrow is Mother’s day here. I was certain that in Canada it was next week end not this Sunday. Sorry momsy… I was planning on sending a postcard for Mother’s day. Apparently, I will be late. Oopsy.

Mucho amor,

Val

2 comments:

Teeks said...

Hey Val!!!!

Je t'admire tellement la jcrois même pas tu comprends!! Je suis de retour de mon voyage et j'ai passé 4 jours à Barcelone en Espagne...aka Spanish world. J'comprenais RIEN! J'pensais à toi toute le temps, jtais comme man I wish Val serait ici pour m'aider haha. Ya qqn qui a dit Gracias pis j'ai repondu Denada (jespere que sa veut dire derien LOL) pis j'étais toute fiere parce jdisais que j'avais eu ma première conversation en Espagnol (clearly not) lol.

Entouka, t'es super smart de faire s'que tu fais, take it all in cause before you know it it'll be time to come home ;) Keep up the posts, I love getting updates.

ttyl seniorita, teeheee :)

TK

ps I'm supeeeeeeeer jet lagged, but in a good way I guess, il est 7h55 AM pis je dors pas acose jai ete me coucher a 5h PM (I know my fault) lol, so if youre jet lagged still wholy moly jsais pas comment tu fais!

Clo-clo said...

hey Val,
Tu sais que c`est la fete a ton frere aujourd`hui. Et oui déja 24 ans... On lui a offert un set d`ustensil pour BBQ pour sa fete lui disant que ca lui serait utile pour sa nouvelle maison. Mais ce qu`il ne savait pas c`est qu`il y avait un BBQ tout neuf dans la valise de la voiture. Pas nécessaire de te dire qu`il était super content. Pour demain ,la fete des meres , on va aller chercher du homard comme la tradition le veut. Encore une fois tu ne seras pas ici pour en manger avec nous. Ca fait longtemps qu on n`a pas fait ca ensemble mais on va se rattraper un jour, je te le promets... C `est pas grave meme si j`ai la carte postale en retard, c `est comprenable t`es tellement loin. On t`aime tres forte et on t`envoie des gros becs.
Momsy et Dadsy xox